After the death of a family member or loved one, the red tape involved in dealing with a deceased estate can be quite daunting, especially at what is already a very difficult time for you and your loved ones.
At CDQ, our experienced team of compassionate and professional lawyers can help you with all matters concerning the Administration of an Estate. We can provide practical and pragmatic advice as to what is required and how best to proceed.
What is Estate Administration?
When a person passes away the assets owned by that person in their sole name comprise their ‘estate’. The estate has to be administered according to the person’s Will by their Executor, or if they have died without a Will then according to State based legislation that stipulates who can act as the Administrator and who should inherit the estate.
Generally speaking, when a Will exists, estate administration involves collecting and managing all of the deceased’s assets. The Executor is required to pay off the deceased’s debts and then distribute any remaining money in the estate to the beneficiaries named in the Will.
Estate Administration is a lengthy process and can take anywhere from six months to several years depending on the nature of the assets, the age of beneficiaries and whether any disputes arise.
At CDQ, we provide a flexible and efficient service to assist the Executor or Administrator in undertaking their legal obligations. We can:
- advise you of your duties and responsibilities as an Executor
- prepare all of the necessary documentation to apply for a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration (where there is no Will)
- assist with the collection of assets including funds held in bank accounts, superannuation, insurance policies
- assist in identifying and paying off any debts or liabilities of the deceased
- assist with the sale of any real estate property if required
- assist with the distribution to beneficiaries.
If you are the Executor of an Estate and would like practical, professional and compassionate advice, do not hesitate to contact the experienced team at CDQ for assistance on 02 8566 2400.